Friday, February 6, 2009

best concert . . . so far

It's not a secret that I love going to concerts. They are like a drug for me . . . the whole time the band is playing I'm just on such a high and I get to escape reality for a brief time. I'm losing track of all the major concerts I've been to, but let's see if I can count: Garth Brooks once (long time ago!), Kenny Chesney & Rascal Flatts together (Indianapolis w/ Ashley), Kenny Chesney & Gretchen Wilson (GR w/ Ashley), Kenny Cheseny & Sugarland (Lexington w/ Ashley), Sugarland (Ft. Wayne w/ Karen), Rascal Flatts (Indianapolis w/ mom, Ft. Wayne & GR w/ Dez). I wish I could be a groupie for a living . . . maybe someday!

Anyway, last night Dez and I got to see Rascal Flatts right here in GR. First time I haven't had to drive a long distance to a concert, which was awesome. Elissa was originally going to go, but she had voice class and humbly gave her ticket to Dez (who is eternally grateful). Here's a rundown of our night . . .

We planned to go to TGI Fridays for dinner and drinks but the wait was over an hour so we went to Gardella's, which was great. The bartender was cute and flirted with us and the atmosphere was calm and relaxing. On the way there we picked up our tickets, but didn't know just how good they were at that point.















We then headed over to Van Andel and began the walk to our seats. We got our pink bracelets for the floor and got led all the way to the front. We were hitting each other the hold time freaking out about how close we were . . . just couldn't believe it. We were about 6 rows from the front stage and right next to the side catwalk that went through the audience on the floor. We made instant friends with the ladies next to us from Canada. We informed them that if they were sitting next to us they had to be fun and they were. We listened to Jessica Simpson who was terrible. She was so emotional on stage and played with her hair the whole time.











The anticipation was incredible as we waiting for Rascal Flatts to come out. When the lights finally went out we were so excited. Then there was a loud boom and some fireworks on stage and Gary, Jay, and Joe Don appeared. That's when I got to see what I was waiting for all night . . . Dez's super excited face that she only has when she sees Rascal!











By the second song we already had sore throats from screaming and singing. One of the first songs was a favorite of mine: "Secret Smile." We sang every word to every song and loved every minute. Every time one of the guys walked down the catwalk on our side we were right by the stage reaching for them. Gary was first and even sang to Dez for a little bit. I didn't actually get to grab Joe Don's hand, but did brush his fingers. When Jay came by he was busy playing the guitar so we pretty much groped his leg before he finally took a break and touch our hands. It was just a surreal experience!










The night finally hit the climax as the guys were finishing up their set before the encore. Joe Don was on our side (of course) and started signing autographs (including signing a towel that we were two people away from catching). I told Dez to get over there and grab him for a picture. She was yelling at him and finally just grabbed him and he bent down for a picture. The timing worked out perfectly that people moved and I got a sweet picture of them . . . PRICELESS! I was a little jealous, but I knew Dez would treasure it forever.

The guys came out for an encore during which they played "Me and My Gang" and "Bob That Head." It was a great ending to the evening. We tried to collect ourselves and soak in the moment. While we were sitting there we saw some parents of a girl that we both coach and then Matt and Natalie Means. Matt had found us on his binoculars and was watching us swoon the whole time! I do sincerely wish more people could have enjoyed this event with us. I can't wait till the next concert . . . maybe I will be so lucky to see Sugarland AND Rascal Flatts at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. haha Megs I am laughing out loud at you right now. I repeat my comment from before- you have the craziest, awesomest, intensity about everything in life. love you.
    haha

    ReplyDelete