Sunday, May 2, 2010

alone

I wonder if I will ever be able to stop doing things alone. Ever since I was in high school, I've had to get used to being independent. I made my own dinner. I was the girl who didn't mind going to the bathroom alone (this is a big deal for teenage girls). In college I began to make great friends, but still always seemed to do things on my own. Then on from college were the most alone 4 years of my life . . . I bought my first house alone. I learned to travel alone. I would even eat alone at restaurants. I have been known to go to the movies alone, too. I shop for one and cook for one. I go to church alone. And, of course, I sleep alone.

The years continued to wear on me so I decided to make a change in my life. I moved to a place where I thought I wouldn't feel alone because I would be surrounded by the people who didn't make me feel so alone. After almost two years, things don't really seem any different. I can't help but think of why this is happening. I am just that bad of a communicator? Have I become so independent that I can't depend on anyone else? How long will I have to sit in church by myself while I watch all the families make their way to their seats and long to have my own family? I guess it wouldn't be so hard if there was an end in sight, but it is hard and it's getting harder and I feel like I'm just spiraling out of control. Is it so bad to just want someone to want to spend time with me? I think I'm fun, but who knows. Hopefully I can figure out these issues, at least with the help of a liscensed professional. Ahhh . . . I hate feeling so crappy when there really are great things around me, but these are my feelings and they are real because they are not going away.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to be able to take a moment to really devote to this...but who has those?!?

    Megan, this stirs several emotions within my heart...I feel sad, empathetic and happy all at once.

    Sad that you feel like you are alone. We both know that you are NEVER alone. While you may not have people physically near you or physically calling, etc., the Lord is ALWAYS with you. Take comfort in knowing this. Know that no matter what He is there, by your side, listening to your every word.

    Empathetic...I feel the SAME way. I try so hard to surround myself with others and things to do so I don't feel that loneliness surround me like a deep dark shadow. It's hard though. You are at a stage in life where everyone is moving on or away, in relationships, getting married, having babies. And as much as you are a part of that, you aren't. Does that make sense?

    Happy...happy to know that I am not the only one that feels this way. Proud that you put it out there. I feel like admitting it is admitting defeat, or that there is something wrong with me. I know neither one of these is true.

    I wish we were closer Megan. I truly feel that we are both in such similar crossroads in our lives that we would be good for each other! =)

    All my love.

    ReplyDelete