Sunday, May 9, 2010

megathon part 2

So I wrote this in a word document Friday night because I couldn't get on the internet . . .

So two weeks later here I sit ready to complete part 2 of my "megathon" in the morning. This race has very special significance for me. The Indy 500 Festival mini marathon is the largest half marathon in the country with 35,000 participants. Being from Indiana we just call it the mini. Ever since I was a kid my grandma has made a yearly trip to Indy to run the mini with her running friends. She did this race until she was in her 60s. She is now in low 70s and will be walking the 5K tomorrow with her almost 75 year old sister. I was always in awe of my grandma and her friends for doing this race and was determined to do this race at some point in my life. Well, tomorrow is the day! I know my grandma will be very proud of me and I am happy to run my last long race.

Driving into the city tonight got me very excited. I love Indy and it feels like home, something I really needed this week. I'm so excited to run around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway tomorrow. I have been on it once, but to run around it will be awesome. Hopefully I can sleep tonight and feel rested when I'm up at 5 a.m. tomorrow . . . it was not a good week of sleep, but not much I can do at this point. I've only run once since Nashville so hoping my body is still in good condition and is well rested from the half a couple weeks ago. I'll also need to stay mentally strong knowing that I've already done this and how long those last 5 miles can feel. I get so excited to check things off my bucket list and am glad my mom and grandma will be there for this race. Hopefully I can find her and my grandma and we can enjoy some time before I have to go coach in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment