Monday, December 14, 2009

dysfunction!

After church on Sunday, which was titled Ready or Not, focusing on how to really be ready for the message of Christmas . . . I was actually feeling ready. Then I got a phone call which reminded me of the wonderful dysfunctional family I get to go home to . . . TWICE!

My dad calls out of the blue so something is either wrong and he needs something. Luckily there was no tragedy, but he did inform me that our Christmas gathering is now on Christmas day instead of the 26th, which my grandma had indicated just two days prior. I had already planned out my day and was very much looking forward to it. Now because of my brother, which the world seems to revolve around because he has kids, but doesn't put in much effort to being around family, we are now getting together Christmas day. To top it all off, when I get to tell my mom this wonderful news she will probably make me feel bad about it even though I had nothing to do with it! Why is it that the single ones in the family are the last to know anything and just have to adjust to everyone else's schedule? This happens every year so I don't know why I continue to be surprised or upset about it, but it is so darn frustrating!!! Whenever this happens I throw in Christmas with the Kranks and envision myself on a tropical island with a hot guy and a tasty beverage by my side. :)

I do love my family, but I do long for the day when my husband and I get to make our own traditions and can really make Jesus the center of Christmas. I feel like that is lost and that's what makes me the most sad. I will hunker down and have a positive attitude and pray that God fills me with love to share with everyone despite the fact that I get to be thrown around from gathering to gathering. Oh, tis the season . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment